The HTC EVO 4G’s 4.3-inch screen is perfect for watching video on the go.
Packed full of powerful mobile communication and multimedia features, the HTC EVO 4G has a large, vibrant 4.3 inch display and a built-in kickstand for easy viewing of videos–from Sprint TV programming to HD movies captured on the 8-megapixel auto-focus camera. It’s powered by a screaming fast 1 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor and Google’s Android 2.1 operating system. With integrated Google technology, the HTC EVO 4G brings one-touch access to the popular Google mobile services millions use every day, including Google Search by Voice, YouTube and Picasa. The HTC EVO 4G also provides easy access to both personal and corporate email, calendars, and contacts supported by Exchange Server and Gmail.
And through Android Market, you’ll get access to thousands of useful applications, widgets and fun games to download and install on your phone, with many more apps being added every day. The HTC EVO 4G also includes HTC Sense, a user interface overlay from HTC that makes it easy for you to create an individualized mobile experience tailored specifically to your needs.
The forward-facing 1.3 megapixel camera makes it easy to have video calls using the two-way voice and video service from Qik (upgraded account service required). And with built-in mobile hotspot functionality, the HTC EVO 4G also allows up to eight Wi-Fi-enabled devices–including laptop, camera, music player, video player and any other Wi-Fi-enabled device–to enjoy the benefits of 4G speeds on the go. Other features include music downloads from the Amazon MP3 Store, microSD memory expansion (8 GB card included; optional 32 GB cards supported), Adobe Flash support, HDMI audio/video output, and up to 6 hours of battery life (learn more about power management on the HTC EVO 4G).
The HTC EVO 4G offers lightning fast 4G speeds, Android 2.1 operating system, and a 1 GHz Snapdragon processor (see larger image).
The handy kickstand makes it easy to watch videos on-the-go.
Sprint’s Blazing Fast 4G Network
Sprint 4G offers a faster wireless experience than any other U.S. national wireless carrier, and Sprint is the only national carrier offering wireless 4G service in 32 markets (with more coming online soon). Sprint 4G delivers download speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G, giving the HTC EVO 4G the fastest data speeds of any U.S. wireless device available today. Sprint 4G network coverage is expected to reach 120 million people by the end of 2010.
Sprint 4G services dramatically increase download speeds for photos, videos and large files. You can download a favorite song, picture, sitcom or large video in seconds, not minutes, or watch live streaming video- all while on the go, not just from the home or office. Additionally, businesses can benefit from the fast connectivity speeds of 4G. Some examples include:
* Real estate agents can conduct virtual property tours.
* Construction teams using 4G in the field can save valuable time by sharing schematics with engineers online.
* Insurance companies can speed their claims management through real-time communication with on-site adjusters.
* Health care professionals can improve their ability to remotely monitor patients.
* Emergency first responders can rapidly assess and coordinate disaster action with real-time on-site video and audio.
* Photojournalists can instantly transfer high-resolution images to the newsroom.
Learn more about shat to expect when switching between 3G and 4G coverage.
* Ultra-fast 4G connectivity with simultaneous voice and data capability (peak download speeds of more than 10 Mbps; peak upload speeds of 1 Mbps; average download speeds of 3-6 Mbps)
* 3G data speeds (EVDO Rev A.) in areas not yet served by 4G (peak download speeds of up to 3.1 Mbps; peak upload speeds of 1.8 Mbps; average download speeds of 600 kbps-1.4 Mbps)
* Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g) for accessing home and corporate networks as well as hotspots while on the go.
* Built-in mobile hotspot functionality allows up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices to share the 3G or 4G experience on the go with a laptop, camera, music player, game unit, video player, or any other Wi-Fi enabled device.
* Powered by the Android 2.2 operating system with deep integration of Google services and access to thousands of apps to customize your phone via the Android Market.
* Google mobile services including Google Search, Google Maps, Google Talk, Gmail, YouTube , and syncing with Google Calendar
* Access to Google Goggles to search with pictures instead of words. It works with everything from books, DVDs and barcodes to landmarks, logos, artwork and wine labels.
* Updated HTC Sense user experience includes Friend Stream to integrate Facebook, Twitter and more into a single flow of updates.
* 1 GHz Snapdragon processor speeds up everything–from playing games to watching shows to opening files from work.
* GPS using Sprint Navigation for turn by turn directions, and points of interest searches
* 4.3-inch capacitive display with pinch-to-zoom and tactile feedback
* 8-megapixel auto-focus camera with dual LED flash
* Capture HD-quality video (720p)
* HDMI audio/video port enables you to output pictures, slides and videos in HD quality (720p) via HDMI cable (sold separately)
* Forward-facing 1.3 megapixel camera for making video calls. Two-way voice and video capability will be available as an upgrade to the preloaded Qik app on HTC EVO 4G to enable conversational, interactive, real-time sharing between mobile devices or from mobile-to-desktop.
* Bluetooth connectivity (version 2.1) includes profiles for communication headset, hands-free car kits, and the A2DP Bluetooth profile–enabling you to wirelessly stream your music to a pair of compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones or speaker dock.
* Memory expansion via microSD card slot with support for optional cards up to 32 GB (8 GB card included).
* Digital audio player and FM radio
* Access to personal and corporate e-mail with Microsoft Direct Push Technology and HTML support. Send and receive email from multiple corporate and personal email accounts. Also, get wireless email access to popular commercial POP3 and IMAP accounts like AOL, Gmail, and Yahoo!
* Instant messaging via popular services including Windows Live Messenger, Google Talk, Yahoo Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger.
* View documents including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and PDF on the go to maximize your productivity
* Visual Voicemail gives you quick and easy access to just the messages you want to listen to by letting you go directly to a specific message, without needing to listen to or skip past previous messages.
* Full HTML Web browser
* Adobe Flash technology ensures that rich Internet content, such as embedded video and animation, are displayed the way they are meant to be seen.
* Airplane mode allows you to listen to music while the cellular connectivity is turned off
* Built-in kickstand for hands-free viewing
* 3.5mm stereo headset jack
The HTC EVO 4G weighs 6 ounces and measures 4.8 x 2.6 x 0.5 inches. It comes with a large-capacity, 1500 mAh lithium-ion battery with up to 6 hours of battery life. It runs on Sprint’s 4G network as well as the 800/1900 CDMA/EV-DO Rev. A frequencies.
What’s in the Box
HTC EVO 4G handset, rechargeable battery, charger, USB cable, 8 GB microSD memory card, quick start guide, user manual
* GPS capable with Sprint Navigation: This GPS-enabled phone provides optional access to Sprint Navigation for driving directions on your mobile phone–by voice and onscreen. Along the way, turn-by-turn directions will be announced in a clear voice and displayed on your phone. For example, Sprint Navigation will say, “Go 1.2 miles and turn right on Elm Street.” As you approach the turn, you will hear, “Turn right on Elm Street.” Sprint Navigation also provides proactive traffic alerts with one click re-routing. And it’s easy to find restaurants, banks, cafes, hotels and more from over 10 million points of interest across the U.S.
* Sprint TV enabled: With Sprint TV, you can make your cell phone your always-on source for news, weather, sports and more. This comprehensive video service combines high-quality streaming audio and video from channels including the NFL Network, ABC, The Weather Channel, Fox Sports, E!, CNN, The Discovery Channel, and more.
* Stay Sporty with Sprint: With NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile, instantly connect to the NASCAR information you want, when you want it. Follow NASCAR action from practice to race day with real-time leaderboard and alerts. Get exclusive access to your favorite NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver with real-time driver stats, breaking news and more. Live in-car audio, race radio, NASCAR on SPEED and other audio/video only available on select phones. Visit sprint.com/speed for details.
To access, just text “NASCAR” to 7777 on your Sprint phone or visit the Sprint Digital Lounge to download NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile (standard text messaging and data rates apply).
This phone also provides access to Sprint Football Live–free for any phone with a data plan. You’ll be able to follow all the live play-by-play action with the Live Game Center for both pro and college football games, as well as stay on top of the pro football draft with a Live Draft Tracker and in-depth analysis and bios on nearly 500 top prospects. Access by texting “FOOTBALL” to 7777 on the handset to download Sprint Football Live from Sprint Digital Lounge (standard text messaging and data rates apply).
HTC EVO 4G Power Management
The HTC EVO 4G offers new capabilities for a smartphone that require more power, which can impact its battery life more than what you may have experienced using other smartphones.
* It has more radios to power (3G, 4G, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, GPS).
* It features a larger screen than most typical smartphones.
* It offers more capabilities than most typical smartphones, including:
o Management of multiple email accounts and syncing
o WiFi access point
o WiFi Router capability
o 4G data
o Access to several 3rd party applications through the Market
o Applications and Processes running in the background
With the HTC EVO 4G, you have the ability to manage your phone’s power consumption to optimize its battery life. These include:
Battery Usage Tools
Before you are ready to charge your phone you can view what has been using your battery during this charge cycle.
* Settings -> About Phone -> Battery -> Battery use
The multiple radios on this device will use battery life even when you are not using them.
* To improve battery life, turn off your Bluetooth, GPS, 4G, Wi-Fi, and Wi-Fi Sprint Mobile Hotspot if you are not using them.
The 4G radio should only be turned ON when the improved network speed is required for an application, such as YouTube, Web Browsing, or Sprint Mobile Hotspot. When not in use, its important to use the built-in 4G widget (preloaded on Home tile left of center) to turn the 4G radio OFF.
If you have your 4G radio ON, but are no longer in 4G coverage then your device will be scanning in an attempt to re-acquire the 4G network. Your battery can be significantly drained by the scanning processes, so if you know you will be out of 4G coverage for an extended period of time or if you are not acquiring a 4G signal as indicated in the task bar, it would be important to turn your 4G radio OFF.
E-mail Applications Settings
The e-mail settings allow you to setup peak and off-peak hours for e-mail sync on each email account.
* Pop Account
o Mail -> Menu -> More -> Settings -> Send & Receive -> Set Download Frequency
* Exchange Account
o Mail -> Menu -> More -> Settings -> Send & Receive -> Schedule
Generally, less frequent syncing equates to better battery life.
As soon as you sign up for the Google Market or Gmail with your Gmail account information, you are also signed in to the Google Talk instant messaging application. The Talk application tracks the presence of your Google Talk contacts in order to let you know who is available to instant message. Each presence change uses a small amount of power even if you do not have the Talk application open.
If you have numerous contacts who are changing presence throughout the day all of these small impacts to your battery can add up to significantly shorten your battery life.
To see a complete list of power management tips for the HTC EVO 4G, click here to read this PDF overview.
Switching between 3G and 4G coverage
Browser app connection warning.
Mail app connection warning.
When switching between 3G and 4G coverage, the HTC EVO 4G may experience a very brief interruption of data service as the device switches network connections. During this brief interruption, applications attempting to access data may be unable to do so and may display an error message. Below are some examples of how to proceed if an error message appears on the device. Other data-usage applications may experience a very brief interruption and will continue functioning once the network handoff is complete.
* Mail application: Simply tap the Cancel button and refresh your inbox after a few seconds by tapping Menu > Refresh.
* Browser application: Simply wait a few seconds and attempt loading the webpage again by tapping the refresh arrows or re-entering the address.
* YouTube: Simply tap the OK button and attempt loading the desired video again
* Sprint Mobile Hotspot: The Sprint Mobile Hotspot will remain on, but there will be no internet connectivity until the device reconnects to the data network.
* Pandora: Pandora may briefly pause until connectivity to the data network is restored